6.9.12

Backyard forts

source

source


source

This weekend Will's dad is visiting so that they can begin work together on a fort for the kids. Rather than a traditional cubby we have decided to attempt something simple that the children can 'imagine' into anything depending on their current obsession - a boat, space craft, superhero vehicle, princess castle, observation deck, launch pad etc... The observation deck above (from Dude Craft) reminds me of clambering up onto our little semi's rooftop with my housemate in Brunswick, lugging pillows and a mattress one hot Melbourne night - looking up at the orange city-lit sky. Romantic, until we were bitten by enough mosquitos we had to scuttle back inside. I'd love to think our backyard can provide plenty of playful memories for our kids. They may like to embellish their fort with curtains, sails or flags, such as the puppy one above from Imagine Childhood. Part of the plan is to incorporate some landscaping. I love the central tree, dry river bed and rope bridge in the third image above. The kids bought Will an olive tree for father's day last weekend as a starting point. I'm excited for them. I'll post some pics once it is complete. Dad first needs to locate his hammer. My son coolly informed me this morning he had tossed it onto the roof playing 'Avengers'! Good luck boys:)...

No comments:

Post a Comment