30.8.12

The humble tent

source

source

source

This is where it began for me. My first 'place' to set up and decorate was a tent. A small stripey one with a wire frame someone gave to me when I was four. Naturally, my very own address was established in the back yard - heaven for an independent pre-schooler! Plenty of home-making went on in that tent; all faded and falling apart by the time I'd finished with it. 

Our family camped each summer and I graduated to decorating our tent. It was a heavy old ex-army khaki tent with a large pole in the centre and an annexe. My folks would unload the trailer and leave me to it - I roped off 'rooms' and strung up 'walls' with sheets, set up the 'kitchen', the 'porch' and then got on with those fresh-aired, salty, beach-side holidays content our place for the fortnight was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment